The laboratory is equipped with high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) of the house Dionex connected with diode array detector and mass spectrometry, of the house Bruker. Specifically, the device consists of:
- A four solvents gradient elution pump
- An autosampler
- A Diode Array Detector (DAD)
- Mass spectrometry is equipped with electrospray ionization technique (ESI) and ion-trap mass analyzer
The liquid chromatography system is followed by supporting peripheral micro-instruments such as:
- ultrasonic bath
- hotplates etc.
The laboratory performs analyzes of organic materials contained in relics (textiles, icons etc), with emphasis on the study of natural organic colorants (dyes).
More specifically, the workshop focuses on the following areas:
- Investigation and determination of the composition of natural organic pigments used in the Greek cultural heritage.
- Optimization of the methods used for the analysis of natural organic materials.
- Identification of organic materials contained in objects of cultural heritage.
- Study of the deterioration mechanisms the organic materials suffer from environmental factors.
- Revival of traditional dyeing techniques and preparing organic lacquers.